Dog Photo Challenge ~ Black
This week’s photo challenge is all about the colour black!
If you have a black (or black and white) dog that makes it pretty easy to participate.
If your dog is a different colour though you can still join the fun! Find a black background. Or perhaps incorporate some black toys, props or accessories.
This Week’s Photo Challenge Theme: BLACK
While this challenge isn’t only for black dogs, as they can be particularly challenging to photograph, we thought we’d provide some tups to help if you do have a dog that is black in colour for the challenge:
- Make it easier for your camera to focus by choosing a location with even lighting and an uncluttered background.
- Avoid photographing them in deep shadows as they will disappear or your camera may try to overexposure the photo for all that darkness.
- Try to achieve a balance where you’re photographing between dark of your dog and highlight of the surroundings. This will mean that your dog won’t be too dark in comparison. Specifically:
- Indoors – Choose an areas that is flooded with diffused light or position your dog with a large window behind you. This will illuminate their details.
- Outdoors – Photograph on cloudy days. Or on a sunny day, choose an area of open shade, such as under a big tree or a covered patio. Position your dog so the source of the light shines in from behind you. Avoid photographing in bright sunlight – in high contrast situations your dog will likely become a dark shadow.
- Focus on their eyes. While this is important in nearly all dog portraits, with black dogs their eyes are going to stand out and this provides you with a good contrast point for your focus.
- Avoid using your on-camera flash. This creates very harsh light that won’t do that black coat justice.
We can’t wait to see your Black themed photos this week! As always, you’re welcome to apply the theme creatively.
Some ‘BLACK’ Inspiration
In these inspiration photos we have:
Top: Gorgeous black Border Collie x Sammy photographed on a black background!
Middle: A gorgeous black labrador and german shepherd photographed in natural surroundings – you can see in these how we’ve applied the tips above.
It doesn’t get any ‘blacker’ than this – Ebony and Baloo are big black Newfoundlands!
More black adorable-ness with Tux the Border Collie x and Hudson the Kerry Blue Terrier (and yep his black coat does have a slight blue tinge to it!)
Bottom: Labrador cross Charlie – his golden good looks are shown off when photographed on a black background and with his cute black bow tie.
Sharing your Photos
Meeting and hearing all about your dogs and the love you have for them makes our day! There’s lots of ways to share your photos for this weeks challenge:
- On Facebook – Post your photo under the theme post when it appears on Facebook.
- On Instagram – Tag your photos that fit the theme with #pt_black so we can find them!
- In the Comments – Share your photo in the comments below. If you have photos on other photo sharing sites (like 500px or Flickr) then feel free to leave a link to your photo in the comments.
However you share, don’t forget to include your dogs name/s. If there is a great story, or puppy tale, that goes with your photo them we’d also love to hear it! Especially if you’re sending us something creative and we may not immediately ‘get’ how your photo fits the theme!