Dog Photo Challenge ~ Golden Hour
Have you heard of the ‘Golden Hour’ in photography?
It’s the period of time around sunset (and also sunrise) when the lighting is more likely to help you produce gorgeous results in outdoors photography.
And it can certainly be applied beautifully to your dog photos! So this week our dog photo challenge theme is ‘Golden Hour’.
This Week’s Theme: GOLDEN HOUR!
At sunrise and sunset, the sun is low in the sky, producing a soft, diffused light which is much more flattering. The light at this time is also less contrasty and this reduces the chances of losing parts of your subject in strong shadows or highlights.
The qualities of golden hour light also gives rise to creative possibilities. Some things to try when taking photos during the golden hour:
- Front lighting – where your doggie subject faces the sun – this will give you warm, soft light across their faces and unlike during brighter light they won’t be squinting.
- Back light – where the sun is behind your doggie subject – giving you a warm, glowy effect.
- Filtered back light – the golden hour is perfect for getting beautiful filtered back light through grass and trees behind your dog.
- Rim / Outline lighting – when you’re using the sun in a backlit situation and have a dark background behind your dog, you’ll get a beautiful faint glow outlining them.
- Flare – that awesome rainbow glow that happens with the light hits your lens. Like rim lighting, this happens in backlit situations. Play around with how much sunlight actually hits your lens by varying your height and angle to the sun.
- Sillouhette – exposure for light golden hour sky, so that your dog is in shadow to create their silhouette.
You’re welcome to apply the theme creatively. Don’t forget to include a comment if it might not so obvious as to how your photo fits the theme.
We can’t wait to check out all your Golden Hour doggie photos.
Some ‘GOLDEN HOUR’ Inspiration
Some adorable dog photo inspiration for you! In these photos we have:
Top: Keiko the Japanese Spitz at sunset in a Lavender Farm.
Middle: Labradoodle Alfie & Schnoodle Pippa watching the sunset at the Snow; Border Collie Rosie just waiting for the ball to be throw at sunset.
Staffy Gidget (perfect name for a beach loving dog!) & her human walking along a gorgeous golden beach.
Bottom: Summer the Border Collie puppy at the Beach. Pug puppy Coco Fox out for an sunset evening stroll.
Sharing your ‘SUNSET’ Photos
Meeting and hearing all about your dogs and the love you have for them makes our day! There’s lots of ways to share your photos for this weeks challenge:
- On Facebook – Post your photo under the theme post when it appears on Facebook.
- On Instagram – Tag your photos that fit the theme with #pt_goldenhour so we can find them!
- In the Comments – Share your photo in the comments below. If you have photos on other photo sharing sites (like 500px or Flickr) then feel free to leave a link to your photo in the comments.
However you share, don’t forget to include your dogs name/s. If there is a great story, or puppy tale, that goes with your photo them we’d also love to hear it! Especially if you’re sending us something creative and we may not immediately ‘get’ how your photo fits the theme!