A fitness program for you & your dog
Several weeks ago we featured the team at Barx Active and their innovative fitness sessions for you and your dog. We had such an amazing response to that article that Barx Active have shared with us some of their exercise routines so you can do them anywhere and anytime with your dog.
- Update – Barx Active no longer provides exercise classes for you and your dog! But we still have the workout here for you to enjoy at home 🙂
We all know that active dogs are happy dogs, but don’t forget that active owners are happy owners too! We love exercises that challenge both you and your dog, so we have created an exercise program that you and your pooch can do together at your local park. You’ll both be fitter and healthier for it, but more importantly, this shared activity will nurture and grow the special bond that you share.
This program is designed to be performed in a large, flat, open grassed area. Make sure it is dog friendly of course, and observe leash usage guidelines. The program can be adapted to a backyard if required.
What to bring:
- A mat (e.g. yoga mat, even a towel).
- A pair of dumbbells (start with 2kg, you can even use tinned veggies!).
- Markers (these are small cones to mark points on the ground – often you can use trees, twigs, rocks or other landmarks).
- A leash, treats and poo bags for your dog.
- Drinking water for you and your dog.
Warm up time is 2 minutes.
Jog with your dog on your left hand side in a lap or lap/s around your area. Use a comfortable pace.
Punch and Shuttle x 5:
Squat weaves x 10:
Reverse suicides x 3:
Punch and shuttle x 5:
Squat weaves x 10:
Figure eights x 6:
- 10 slow
- 10 fast
- 20 pulses at highest point
- 20 alternating sit up with a twist
Take a slow walk around the park and make sure you thank your dog for working out with you with pats, cuddles and a special treat!
Remember, the more times you practice this program, the better you both will get!